Sunday, August 17, 2014

Excerpt from Chasing Shadows - Second Addition




Experiencing the supernatural as child 

by Larry Wilson

My first encounter with the paranormal was on September 8, 1966. The date is easy to remember, because the night of my experience was the debut of a cool new TV series, Star Trek. It was around 8:30 p.m. At that time we were living in the Petersburg area of Illinois. I remember that my mom was in the kitchen and my brother was doing homework. My dad was visiting at a friend’s house.
Our living room, was set up with our sofa under a window. It faced the north and rested up against the wall. Being bored, I decided to look out the window. I climbed up on the sofa and knelt on the seat, my chin resting on my interwoven fingers. As a child of seven, I enjoyed looking out this window at night, to watch trains that would stop at a small depot that was located on a hillside, about a mile north of our home.
It was dark. I unclasped my hands, cupping them to my face in order to block the glare from the living room light that was reflecting on the window. I pressed my nose against the glass in order to see outside. I remember this night as though it was yesterday. As soon as I looked out of the window I could see the stars, as it was a clear night. Immediately, I noticed how large the moon looked. It appeared to be the biggest and brightest moon that I had ever seen. The color was a strange rich and vibrant orange, and its shape was perfectly round. I looked at the bright orange moon for a couple of minutes. I was completely fascinated by it. Then something caught my attention. I glanced to my left, looking higher up in the night sky, and saw the bright yellow, crescent shaped moon! I quickly looked back at the orange object, which I had originally thought was the moon, and then looked back at the actual moon. The moon appeared to be much smaller than the other object. One thing that I will never forget is how perfectly round the object appeared to be.
I continued staring at it, as I could not take my eyes off of it. Then, all of a sudden, it appeared to accelerate at a high rate of speed before coming to an abrupt halt. It now appeared to be half the size that it had been before. A moment later it shot off again at a high rate of speed and again came to a sudden stop. It repeated this behavior one more time, before it finally accelerated and disappeared into the northern sky.
Over the course of the next few weeks something strange began to happen. I would think of something and the next thing I knew, it would occur. It was not something that happened all of the time, but generally when I would get what I would describe as an eerie feeling. A thought would come to me and the next thing I knew it would manifest itself into reality.
One example of this, was a day I had a premonition that someone was hit by a train. Later that evening I was laying on my parent’s bed, staring out the window, when I observed a car driving through the railroad crossing that was across the street from our house. As I watched, a train struck the rear end of the car. The woman driver sustained injuries that resulted in her being taken to the hospital.
On another occasion, I was in school and we heard the village fire alarm. I looked over at one of my classmates and had a premonition that it was his house that was on fire. I recall hearing him jokingly say, “I sure hope it’s not my house.” Later on, family members came to the school to pick-up him up because it had, in fact, been his house that had caught fire.
After about two months, these visions stopped. But even as a child, I recognized what was happening to me. I truly believe that these premonitions were enhanced for a short time by what I saw that night. It is my hope, that someone who reads this book, and who lived in the Petersburg area at the time, may have also witnessed the same event. If so, I wonder if they experienced premonitions like I did.
Read about this and other adventures of paranormal investigator Larry Wilson in Chasing Shadows -Second Addition


No comments:

Post a Comment